Monday, May 12, 2008

5) My Malgudi Days

By the very word Malgudi days everyone thinks about different things that has happened in their life. For me Malgudi days is my childhood memories.

There is always a general compliant about youngsters..

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

Do you know who told these lines and when was it said?
This was said by Socrates. When you read this you can find that this is applicable to today's youngsters also.

"What is happening to our young people? They disrespect their elders, they disobey their parents. They ignore the law. They riot in the streets inflamed with wild notions.Their morals are decaying. What is to become of them?"
- Pluto
Here's another one:

"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise[disrespectful] and impatient of restraint"
- Hesiod, 8th century BC

I would like to relate something like this in my life..
When we were kids(Me and my brother), we used to go to our paternal granny's place during vacation. My mother used to tell us that when we come back my parents had to take us to the hospital for fever, cold or something alike. Since my mother was also a working lady you can imagine how it would have been. So whenever we go to our granny's place my Dad used to be very careful. At this time i would like to remember our granny.She was such a nice lady.Loved us like anything.She is no more now. She used to go crazy when we go there. She used to take us out and buy us chocolates and other things from road side. I remember my dad and my granny fighting for this. My Dad used to say " Ma..Dont do this..When we go back we cant take leave and take the kids to hospital".But my Granny had her own ways. She used to reply "When the kids asks something i cannot refuse".

Today when i go to my parent's house with my kid my Dad does the same thing. Atleast he doesnt buy things from road side but still he buys eatables for my son saying "When he asks something i can't refuse". Some things never change. The fight still continues...... :)

No comments: