Wednesday, October 15, 2008

My First Golu Experience




I remember the good old days when i was a small girl , I used to visit golus nearby our houses. By the very word Golu i remember all those sweet dolls their arrangement,sundal and the songs.When they asked me to sing in the golu i remember singing some movie song, when the girls who came with me sang Alaipayuthey song(The movie was not released then , otherwise i would have known the song).

Last friday i was feeling very nostalgic when i was talking to my mom about those days. Then suddenly something struck me.I decided i am going to have a golu in my house this time. My in laws and mom were here at my house when i decided this. They were all very happy. But then they said you have to keep it every year if you do it once. I was reluctant. I called my dad who was in my home town and asked him to buy dolls and other things needed for golu.He did it immediately and sent them here to bangalore.

The d-day came and my sister in law helped me with all Nav dhaniyam , dolls and other pooja stuff. When i finished all the settings i was amazed .It turned out to be very good.This is the happiest Dusserah i ever had in my life.All my close friends who knew me well knew for sure i am not that very pious or religious.My main purpose of this golu was to invite everyone to my home. I needed a reason and ofcourse i do dress up everyday with pattu saree,flowers and jewels(hehehehe).

I was wondering why people of the older days had this. Ofcourse they must have been pious. But the real reasion would have been NETWORKING. Those days ladies networking means , "Hey Sudha, is your uncle's ,inlaw's daughter's son still single? We are looking for marriage proposal for our Latha you know?" .Nowadays also its there , but a slight variation .They talk about these things plus other happening things also. Having people everyday at my house was a great joy. I invited all my friends and my husband's friends.

Things to be followed for a Golu( as per my knowledge)

1) Have steps in Odd numbers (3,5,7,9)

2) Grow NavaDhaniyam(Green grams grow well and early, so use them most).

3)Arrange dolls with a theme. Nowadays you get dasavatharam set, Ashtalakshmi set and the so. You can use your own imagination and make a cricket ground, Apartment, Bus Stop and what not.

4)Take bath early in the morning. If you can , fast one time a day.Otherwise atleast avoid non veg.

5)Show Arathi for the dolls and gods everyday in the morning and evening.

6)Water your Navdhaniyam

7)Sing some songs praising the godess Durga/Amman if you can.Otherwise atleast play them in a recorder.

8)Keep water in a jug and keep a coconut on top of it surrounded by mango leaves.This has to be kept all 9 days, so choose a good coconut. After 9 days take this out and prepare some sweet out of it.

9)When people visit your house to see the golu , give them prashadham which you have prepared.Offer them kumkum with the thambulam.Thamboolam includes kumkum, Manjal(Haldi), Yellow rope, Beetle leaves and beetle nuts and a gift of your choice( a blouse bit, Kattori, tray etc..)

10) After 9 days put the navdhaniyam you have grown in any running water.

It was such a pleasant experience that i have already started waiting for next year's golu.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

mostly i will be there for next golu...........

பாலகுமார் said...

so,,, congrats for the initiation of "HUMAN NETWORKING"
already r friends praised u lot for inviting them ("kalyaanam aanathaala, engalayum oru manusanaa madhichu koodpittaa da, cha great da!!!")
nice narration and to do's for golu... publish more fotos.

Aarthi DayaShankar said...

Nice way to put it bala...But some freinds didn't turn up..And i forgot to take photographs with those who came. I was planning to publish it in the blog.But completely forgot.